You can put together this incredibly delicious pasta dish in minutes. The anchovies, garlic, and extra virgin olive oil is a classic combination, enhanced here with a hint of truffle oil and chilli. To the side, a black garlic and balsamic drizzle brings some sweet earthiness and acidic balance.
Many recipes on delectabilia take significant preparation time. This pasta with anchovies and garlic is an exception. You can prepare this dish in 30 minutes or less. Despite its simplicity, it packs so much incredible flavour.
The truffle oil and chilli factors
A good quality extra virgin olive oil together with some garlic and the best anchovies you can find will make a very delicious dressing to toss together with the al dente pasta. But these two additional ingredients, the truffle oil and the chilli, while subtle, are welcome additional layers of flavour.
Be careful with buying truffle oil. Much of what is on the market are chemical simulated truffle flavour. This NY Times article helps clarify the situation. If you love that essence of truffle that a truffle oil can bring to a dish, you will seek out the real thing.
Adding some finely diced mild chilli to an Italian pasta dish such as this may seem a little out of place. Because it is a mild chilli and is diced finely, it never dominates the dish’s taste but adds a subtle edge. It works so well it is like it was always meant to be there.
The black garlic and balsamic drizzle
Pasta with an olive oil-based dressing can benefit from a little acid and sweetness to provide some balance. Here the sweet earthiness of black garlic is combined with balsamic vinegar and honey. This results in a wonderfully complementary sauce for this pasta with anchovies and garlic.
Black garlic has become increasingly popular in recent years. While any garlic is healthy, black garlic concentrates those benefits and removes some of the less popular aspects of garlic consumption. Read more on the health benefits here. And more about its wonderful flavour here. You should be able to buy black garlic at your supermarket or health food store. Or on Amazon. If you cannot find black garlic anywhere, then use some slow-roasted garlic.
Pasta with anchovies and garlic. Black garlic and balsamic drizzle.
- Finely chop the garlic. Remove seeds and finely dice the large mild chilli. Dice the anchovy fillets if using.
- Sauté garlic, chilli, and anchovy over a medium heat, being careful the garlic does not get any more than light brown.
- Fill a large pot with water and add the salt. Bring to the boil.
- Add the pasta and cook until al dente.
- Drain the pasta.
- Add the truffle oil, butter, pasta, and parsley to the garlic and oil and toss well to distribute the flavours.
- Prepare the plates and serve.
Black garlic and balsamic drizzle
- Blend all ingredients.
- Add a little more water to bring to the right drizzly consistency.
- Drizzle around the pasta when serving.