An appetiser should excite the palate. And this confit egg yolk on soba noodles with XO sauce does just that. Umami packed, sumptuous yolk, and an edge from the chilli. Delectable.
While some responses to this dish indicate it could be expanded into a main, I don’t think so. It is perfect as an appetizer. It leaves you wanting more. And that is the point, right?
Not alone among soba noodle recipes on delectabilia, and for good reason. These buckwheat flour noodles have great taste, texture, and are healthier than noodles made only with refined wheat or rice flour. And they work so well with confit egg yolk and XO sauce.
XO sauce is a Cantonese ingredient originating in Hong Kong in the 1980’s. It is actually more a relish than a sauce. And it doesn’t contain any XO Cognac, after which it was named. In Hong Kong at the time, XO had become a generic term for high quality. What is does contain is dried shrimps and scallops, red chillis, ham, garlic and canola oil. In short, an umami packed flavour enhancer.
Confit egg yolk on soba noodles with XO sauce
- 5 eggs 1 spare, just in case
- 1/2 cup canola oil or half-half canola oil and truffle infused oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 Tbsp XO sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp mirin
- 1/2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup canola oil or grapeseed oil
- 100 g dried soba noodles buckwheat noodles
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites. Retain the whiles for another use, such as a consommé. They freeze well.
- Add the yolks, 1/2 cup oil and crushed garlic to a sous vide bag.
- Sous vide at 64 degC for 45 minutes.
- Drain the yolks from the oil shortly before using.
- In a large pan over a medium-low heat, stir together all the ingredients.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add the 1/4 cup oil and the soba noodles.
- Boil the soba noodles according to the instructions on the package, usually about 6 minutes. Test from 5 minutes to ensure the right state of “doneness”.
- Using thongs, lift the noodles from the water and add to the pan with the XO sauce. Toss with the XO sauce until well coated.
- Drain the egg yolks from the oil.
- Coil up some of the soba noodles tossed in XO sauce and position on a plate.
- These should be warm, not hot.
- Place an egg yolk on top.
- A sprig of sea grapes looks good as a garnish.