The purpose of an appetiser is to stimulate the appetite. This is usually accomplished with a small quantity of something very tasty. That certainly describes this wonderful combination. The chorizo brings a smoky salty dimension to the succulent scallops. The umami of the black garlic and the freshness of the lemon and sake perfectly prepares your mouth for the next course.
Thanks to the recipe on blackgarlic.com for the inspiration for this dish. If you cannot find black garlic in your local food stores, it is available to buy from a number of online vendors. Otherwise, try this dish with slow roasted garlic. These were quite small scallops. If you can get bigger ones, scale the numbers accordingly.
Scallops, chorizo, black garlic, and sake
- 250 g scallops
- 50 g chorizo sausage finely diced
- 5 cloves black garlic peeled and very finely sliced
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp parsley freshly chopped
- 2 Tbsp sake
- Rinse and dry the scallops on a paper towel.
- Heat a large frying pan (no oil). Fry the chorizo sausage for 2 – 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels, keeping as much of the rendered fat in the pan as possible.
- In the same pan, quickly sear the scallops in the rendered fat from the chorizo.
- Add chorizo and diced black garlic back to the pan and stir-fry for a minute.
- Add 1/2 the parsley, lemon juice, and the sake to the pan and cook for one more minute.
- Sprinkle with the remaining parsley