These corn and roasted red pepper waffles are made using yeast as a leavening agent, adding a layer of flavour and a slight chewiness to the texture.
The most common waffle batter recipes use baking powder as the leavening agent. An alternative is to use baker’s yeast, and it is well worth doing. The waffles have an aroma of freshly baked bread, and a satisfying chewiness to the texture.
The yeast based waffle style of these corn and roasted red pepper waffles worked so well that it became the motivation for these corn and green onion waffles. The other common factor? Corn is such a great waffle ingredient. The texture, the taste, the sweetness – corn just works so well in a waffle. What would you pair corn with in a waffle?
While these corn and roasted red pepper waffles were amazing on their own, the parmesan sour cream dip introduced an umami component which really highlighted the sweetness of the corn and roasted red peppers.
As an alternative to using sour cream or crème fraîche, use a full cream Greek yogurt. Two of the dips used in the corn and green onion waffles recipe used Greek yogurt. They worked so well that Greek yogurt has become my preferred base for dips. Reasonably healthy and good value too.
Roasted red pepper and corn yeast waffles. Parmesan sour cream dip.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 50 g butter
- 1 1/2 tsp bakers yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 3 medium sized cobs of corn
- 2 red peppers
Sour Cream Dip
- 250 g sour cream or creme fraîche if you can get it
- 1/2 cup spring onion finely chopped green bits
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese finely grated
- 1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Preparing the waffle batter
- Add the milk and butter to a saucepan and heat over a low heat.
- Once the butter is melted, whisk it in then add 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 Tbsp sugar.
- Once the sugar and salt have dissolved, remove the milk from the heat and allow to cool until lukewarm.
- Add 1/2 cup warm water to a large bowl.
- Add the yeast, stir, then allow to sit until foam forms on the surface (5-15 minutes, depending on the yeast).
- Add the milk mixture to the yeast in the the large bowl and stir.
- Slowly add the flour to the milk and yeast, whisking until smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 5 hours.
- Halve and trim the red peppers. Smear with olive oil and roast for 35 minutes at 190 degC.
- Boil the corn cobs for 5 minutes. Drain and allow to cool.
Making the waffles
- Remove the corn kernels from the cobs.
- Dice the roasted red peppers into about 5mm square pieces.
- Whisk the eggs.
- Add the corn, peppers, eggs, baking soda, and parmesan to the batter and whisk together.
- Make the waffles according to the waffle maker instructions. Usually about 1/2 cup batter per waffle.
Sour cream dip
- Combine the sour cream, finely diced spring onions, parmesan, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour to allow the flavors to integrate.