The most common waffle batter recipes use baking powder as the leavening agent. An alternative is to use baker’s yeast, and it is well worth doing as it adds a complexity to the flavour of the waffles, and a slight chewiness to the texture.
These waffles are amazing on their own – the sweetness of the corn and roasted red peppers in combination with the salty parmesan cheese – but pair them with a parmesan sour cream dip and a salad with the delectabilia salad dressing, and you have a delicious and healthy vegetarian dish.
Roasted red pepper and corn yeast waffles. Parmesan sour cream dip.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 50 g butter
- 1 1/2 tsp bakers yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 3 medium sized cobs of corn
- 2 red peppers
Sour Cream Dip
- 250 g sour cream or creme fraîche if you can get it
- 1/2 cup spring onion finely chopped green bits
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese finely grated
- 1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Preparing the waffle batter
- Add the milk and butter to a saucepan and heat over a low heat.
- Once the butter is melted, whisk it in then add 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 Tbsp sugar.
- Once the sugar and salt have dissolved, remove the milk from the heat and allow to cool until lukewarm.
- Add 1/2 cup warm water to a large bowl.
- Add the yeast, stir, then allow to sit until foam forms on the surface (5-15 minutes, depending on the yeast).
- Add the milk mixture to the yeast in the the large bowl and stir.
- Slowly add the flour to the milk and yeast, whisking until smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 5 hours.
- Halve and trim the red peppers. Smear with olive oil and roast for 35 minutes at 190 degC.
- Boil the corn cobs for 5 minutes. Drain and allow to cool.
Making the waffles
- Remove the corn kernels from the cobs.
- Dice the roasted red peppers into about 5mm square pieces.
- Whisk the eggs.
- Add the corn, peppers, eggs, baking soda, and parmesan to the batter and whisk together.
- Make the waffles according to the waffle maker instructions. Usually about 1/2 cup batter per waffle.
Sour cream dip
- Combine the sour cream, finely diced spring onions, parmesan, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour to allow the flavors to integrate.