Sometimes a combination of ingredients exceeds all one’s expectations. The black rice brings a delicious nutty component to these yeast based waffles. And the texture – crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside.
Make more than you need. They freeze well, and just need to be popped into the oven for a short time to bring them back to life.
The ricotta and basil stuffed red pepper was a very appropriate complement to the waffles, both in terms of flavour and texture. The sweetness of the roasted red pepper, the fresh basil, and the silky smooth and light ricotta worked so well with the crunchy and chewy waffles.
If you can buy it, add a few cloves of mashed black garlic to waffle batter. Black garlic will enhance the colour, flavour, and nutritional value of the waffles.
Black rice waffles. Roasted red peppers stuffed with ricotta, basil, and fresh mozarella
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flower Alternatively, use another 1/2 cup of all purpose flower
- 1 cup milk
- 50 g butter
- 1 tsp bakers yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup uncooked black rice
- 2 cups water
- 6 cloves black garlic optional
Roasted Red Peppers
- 4 red peppers large
- 200 g ricotta cheese
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup diced fresh basil
- 2 large eggs
- 100 g fresh mozzarella
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Balsamic pearls and basil
Preparing the waffle batter
- Add the milk and butter to a saucepan and heat over a low heat.
- Once the butter is melted, whisk it in then add 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 Tbsp sugar.
- Once the sugar and salt have dissolved, remove the milk from the heat and allow to cool until lukewarm.
- Add 1/2 cup warm water to a large bowl.
- Add the yeast, stir, then allow to sit until foam forms on the surface (5-15 minutes, depending on the yeast).
- Add the milk mixture to the yeast in the the large bowl and stir.
- Slowly add the flour to the milk and yeast, whisking until smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 5 hours.
- Add 1 cup uncooked black rice, 2 cups water, 1 tsp salt to a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer. Simmer covered for 40 minutes.
- Let cool with the saucepan lid still on.
Preparing the Roasted Red Peppers
- Halve and trim the red peppers and place on a baking tray.
- Smear with olive oil then bake for 40 minutes at 180 degC.
- Dice the onion and garlic until transparent, but not browning.
Making the Roasted Red Peppers
- Select the 5 red pepper halves that are best suited to stuffing (good volume, not likely to collapse with further cooking).
- Dice the remaining 3 red pepper halves into 5x5mm pieces.
- Lightly whisk the eggs.
- Add the ricotta, onion and garlic, diced red pepper, egg, chopped basil, salt and pepper to a bowl and gently combine.
- Fill the red pepper halves with the ricotta mixture. Add a slice of fresh mozzarella on top.
- But on a baking tray and bake for 30 minutes or until starting to brown.
- Allow to cool a bit before serving.
Making the waffles
- Whisk the eggs.
- Add the eggs, baking soda, black rice, and diced black garlic (if using) into the waffle batter. Gently combine.
- Make the waffles according to the waffle maker instructions. Usually about 1/2 cup batter per waffle.