The versatility of tofu is legend. Here the firm tofu becomes almost cheese-like after the marinating and grilling. The gochujang adds a spicy complexity that only a fermented ingredient can bring.
The genesis of this dish came from one of my favourite food related sites, Serious Eats. While their grilled tofu chipotle miso recipe was delicious, I couldn’t help thinking how it would work even better with gochujang, an ingredient in which chilli and fermented soya beans are primary components. And indeed it did work out well.
Although this dish uses a very Korean ingredient, it is not a Korean dish, rather an Asian inspired dish. While sacrilege to some, I love drawing on the diverse flavours of Asia (my current home) to create something new.
I mentioned the value of fermented ingredients above. If you have Netflix, be sure to watch the series Cooked, especially episode 4.
Marinated and grilled gochujang tofu
- 5 Tbsp gochujang
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger finely grated
- 5 cloves garlic finely chopped or minced
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp liquid honey
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
Tofu and salad
- 600 g firm tofu cut into 1.5 to 2cm thick slabs
- mixed green salad
- 1 zest of a lime
- 1 juice of a lime
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- Combine the marinade ingredients.
- Reserve 2 Tbsp of the marinade to use in the dressing later.
- Drain the tofu on paper towels, top and bottom. Quite a lot of moisture can drain out, so you may need to replace the paper towels once or twice, until little moisture remains.
- In a glass or ceramic baking tray, smear a third of the marinade on the bottom.
- Lay the tofu on top of the marinade, then spread out the remaining marinade on the tops and sides of the tofu.
- Cover with plastic wrap and marinate overnight or for at least a few hours.
- Create a dressing by combining the reserved marinade, zest of a lime, juice of a lime, 1 Tbsp soy sauce, and 1 Tbsp olive oil. Shake well and allow the flavours to merge for at least an hour.
- Grill or broil the tofu until a little charred.
- Strain the dressing.
- Serve on a mixed green salad with a drizzle of the dressing.