An alternative take on fish and chips, with the chips replaced by grilled haloumi cheese and a tasty sweet and sour mango and walnut salad. No need for the traditional sauces when you have a salad like this to compliment the fish.
And finally, the plate. Did you notice the plate? I found it at the Te Papa Museum shop in Wellington, New Zealand. It is a piece by Royce McGlashen. More here… http://www.roycemcglashen.co.nz/
Fish in ale batter with grilled haloumi and a mango walnut salad
- 1 red pepper
- 1/4 cup walnuts lightly roasted
- 1/4 cup finely diced spring onions
- 2 mangos
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp liquid honey I used a truffle infused honey
- 200 g haloumi cheese
Fish in Ale Batter
- Oil for frying
- 1 small bottle ale about 350ml, room temperature
- 1 tsp active yeast
- 1 cup flour
- 4 fish fillets i.e. 4 portions
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC
- Roast the red pepper for 30 minutes.
- Whisk/shake together the balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, salt, pepper, then add the oil and whisk/shake again until combined and thickened.
- Toast the walnuts in the oven for a few minutes.
- Peel and dice the mangos into roughly 10cm cubes.
- Cut the haloumi cheese into 10x10x40mm strips or thereabouts.
- Grill under oven griller until golden.
- Dice the roasted red peppers.
- Toss the dressing together with the cubed mango, diced red pepper, walnuts, and spring onions.
Fish in Ale Batter
- In a large bowl, whisk the yeast into the beer.
- Allow the beer and yeast mixture to sit until new bubbles form.
- Whisk in the flour a little at a time until the batter reaches a consistency sufficient to coat the fish fillets. You may need to experiment a bit.
- If necessary trim the fish into appropriately sized fillets.
- Deep or shallow fry the fillets until golden brown.
- Spoon out some mango salad.
- Top with grilled haloumi cheese. Reheat in the microwave if necessary.
- Drizzle with liquid honey.
- Serve with the battered fish fillet.