Came across some giant shiitake mushrooms in an organic vegetable shop. Turned out they make a divine cream of mushroom soup.
This is not the only cream of mushroom soup recipe on delectabilia. This recipe is simpler, and arguably has a more interesting flavour. However, it relies on these very special mushrooms which may not (yet) be easy to find in your locality. By “giant” I mean about 10cm diameter.
While their skin is the typical brown of the smaller shiitake mushrooms, there is a lot more white flesh inside. Hence the colour of this soup is nearly while, yet it has a distinct but mellow mushroom flavour. I served this to quite a diverse group and it was a hit across cultures and ages.
Cream of giant shiitake mushroom soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 20 g unsalted butter
- 1 onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 200 g fresh giant shiitake mushrooms Ideally organically grown
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme Just a suggestion. More or less if you like
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1/2 cup cooking cream
- 2 tsp mustard
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 6 tsp truffle infused oil
- Bring a large saucepan to a medium heat and add the olive oil and butter.
- When the butter has melted, add the onion to the saucepan and sauté until softened.
- Add the garlic, mushrooms, and sprigs of thyme. Sauté until the mushrooms have expelled their moisture and it has evaporated.
- Remove the thyme stalks, leaving behind as many leaves as possible. Most of them would have detached during the cooking.
- Add the flour to the pan and stir into the mushrooms. It will form a paste with the olive oil and butter.
- Continue cooking until the paste is golden brown.
- Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add the stock or water.
- Add the mustard, salt, and pepper and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the cream.
- Use an immersion blender to blend until smooth, then return to a low heat.
- Add the grated parmesan and stir in until combined.
- If necessary, add more vegetable stock, water, or milk to bring to a suitable soup consistency.
- Serve each bowl with a tsp of truffle infused oil drizzled onto the soup.