This is a salad which is a meal in itself in terms of taste, texture, and nutrition – nutty quinoa, sweet corn and red peppers, and the flavour bursts of the blueberries. You will recreate this one many times over, as I have.
Apart from the roasted red peppers, this one comes together very quickly. You could prepare the peppers, corn, and quinoa the day before, then bring it all together before serving.
Quick, assuming of course you are competent at poaching eggs. I must admit poached eggs are still a challenge for me. I could blame the quality of the eggs that I can buy here in Saigon. But I feel that would be like a craftsperson blaming the tools.
I have tried most egg poaching methods – microwave, plastic wrap, and of course the classic method. It works great when the stars are aligned. Another method I have had more success with recently is sous vide, for example in this pickled mushroom salad with poached duck egg.
Quinoa, blueberry, red pepper, and corn salad, topped with a poached egg
- 2 red peppers
- 3 cups cooked quinoa (I used red quinoa. Great nutty flavour)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cobs corn
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 10 g butter
- 1 onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 large mild chilli
- 150 g fresh blueberries
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper.
- 1 egg per person
- Clean and trim the 2 red peppers and roast at 190 degC for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Blanch 2 cobs of corn in salted boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and allow to cool.
- Cut corn kernels from cobs.
- Dice the roasted red peppers.
- Finely chop the onion, garlic, and chilli.
- In a large frypan or wok, sauté the onion in the olive oil until transparent, then add the garlic and chilli and sauté for several more minutes.
- Add the butter to the onion, then add the corn kernels and sauté for a few more minutes.
- Stir in the salt and pepper, then the quinoa and allow to heat through. Stir occasionally so that it doesn’t stick to the pan. Reduce to a low heat.
- Add the chopped parsley, diced red peppers, and blueberries. Gently combine. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Poach the eggs. You can do this ahead of time and keep in iced water, reheating in hot water for 20 seconds before serving.