Each of these parcels of pomelo salad wrapped in prosciutto is a mouthful of flavour intensity. Salty, sweet, umami, and a little heat from the radish sprouts and chilli.
Pomelo is such a delicious fruit, an almost perfect balance between sweet and sour. With a bit of heat from the radish sprouts, and saltiness and umami from the prosciutto and fish sauce, we have an intense yet balanced mouthful of flavour. If you cannot find pomelo, try grapefruit.
This seared scallops on pomelo salad recipe is another example of where these flavours work so well together.
In the recipe as presented, the pomelo salad is wrapped in prosciutto. It is easy to find in most supermarkets. But if you haven’t tried it yet, try black forest ham. It is from Germany and to me has a much deeper and more interesting flavour than prosciutto, though might be harder to find.
Pomelo salad wrapped in prosciutto
- 4 slices prosciutto or try black forest ham – very delicious
- 1/2 pomelo prepared into segments (about 1 cup after being broken up)
- 1/2 cup radish sprouts
- 2 large mild chilles finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped coriander
- 1/4 cup crispy shallots
- 1 Tbsp good fish sauce prefer Vietnamese, more subtle than Thai
- Break up the pomelo and allow to drain, reserving the juice
- Combine pomelo juice, fish sauce, and chopped coriander.
- Combine the pomelo, sprouts, chillies, shallots, and fish sauce coriander mixture
- Allow to drain
- Wrap pomelo salad in slices of prosciutto and serve