The two distinct features here – the chicken and veggie gravy, and the beetroot and feta salad – compliment each other beautifully, but would also be great on their own.
I have always enjoyed a good gravy, but a traditional gravy is not a particularly healthy option. This “gravy” is as satisfying as its more fat laden ancestors, and considerably more healthy. When combined with the chicken infused with the salty umami character of the pancetta, this chicken and gravy combination brings back childhood memories of roast chicken and gravy, without the health warnings flashing in front of my eyes! And no, I do not eat KFC.
The beetroot feta and basil salad works great with this chicken and gravy dish. It would also be great on a slice of sourdough bread for lunch. Roasting beetroot really brings out a sweet intensity that is quite unique. The feta brings a saltiness and complimentary texture, while the basil adds a beautiful fresh fragrance and taste dimension.
Chicken stuffed with pancetta, asparagus, and brie. Veggie reduction gravy. Roast beetroot, marinated feta, and basil saladPrint
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1 round of Brie
- 4 slices Pancetta or Prosciutto
- 1 Cob of corn
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 parsley stalks
- 1 red pepper
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup beef or chicken stock
- 1 onion
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 10 g butter
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 8 Small beetroot
- 150 g feta cheese cubes
- Bunch of basil
- delectabilia salad dressing see recipe
Vege reduction gravy
- Bring the cup of water and stock to the boil.
- Blanch the corn in the boiling stock for 10 minutes then remove and allow to cool.
- Clean, peel, and dice the onion, carrots, celery, red pepper, tomatoes.
- Add the vegetables to the stock.
- Simmer for an hour or so, or until reduced to a cup of liquid.
- Remove the corn from the cob.
- Saute the onion and corn in the olive oil and butter until just starting to brown.
- Strain the stock and add to the onions and corn.
Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Mix the cornflour with a little water and add slowly to the stock mixture, stirring constantly as it thickens.
- Wrap the beetroots in foil with a little olive oil and bake in the oven for one hour.
- Allow beetroot to cool, then remove skins and stalks
Just before serving, combine the beetroot, feta cheese, chopped basil, and delectabilia salad dressing
- Butterfly the chicken and pound between sheets of plastic wrap until an even 5mm thickness
- Blanch the asparagus for 1 minute in boiling water
- Chop the brie into strips
- Lay asparagus, brie, and prosciutto on the a piece of chicken and wrap. Secure with cooking twine
- Bake in a 200 degC oven until internal temp of the chicken is 72 degC
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes