Black is a little mysterious. Black beans, black rice, and black garlic provide a dark backdrop to colour and light of the red peppers and fresh mozzarella.
Black beans, black rice, and black garlic are all supremely healthy, so why not combine them into a nice black concoction. Add a touch of red, as it is hard to beat the black and red colour combination. Wrap it with some fresh mozzarella in a tortilla, add some tasty salad greens, and we have great bursts of flavour, colour, and… its so good for you.
Don’t use canned black beans. The process of cooking the dry beans in veggie stock with the garlic and onions is essential for the flavour of this dish. It’s a couple of hours, but you can prepare this black concoction ahead of time. Make a bit extra and freeze it.
I added some Manuka smoked kelp (something I picked up in New Zealand) to the delectabilia dressing. It added a nice hint of the sea shore. You could use some other sort of seaweed to get a similar effect. The salad selection was also something I haven’t used a lot, but will be using much more. This brassica is grown in Dalat (Vietnam). It is similar to mustard seed sprouts.
Black bean, black rice, and black garlic tortillas
- 1 cup dried black beans
- 5 cloves black garlic
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup veggie stock
- 3 stalks thyme
- 10 g butter
- 5 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 onion
- 2 red peppers
- 1/2 cup black rice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chopped black garlic
- 150 g fresh mozzarella
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tortillas
- Salad I used Miniature Brassica
- delectabilia salad dressing
- Wash the black beans and pick over to make sure any stones of dodgy looking beans are removed
- Skin onion but keep whole
- Skin and dice fresh garlic
- Tie up the stalks of time into a bundle.
- In a saucepan, simmer the garlic in the butter.
- Put beans, onion, thyme, stock, and water into a saucepan, so that beans are covered by a couple of inches of liquid
- Bring to the boil, then reduce and simmer, cover, and simmer for 2 hours. Stir occassionally being careful not to break up the onions. By 2 hours the liquid should be thick and sauce like.
- Add more water during cooking if necessary to keep the beans very moist.
- In another saucepan, add the black rice, 1/2 tsp salt, and cup of water.
- Bring black rice to the boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Trim the red peppers, smear with olive oil, and roast for 40 minutes at 180 degC.
- When the beans and rice have cooked, remove the onion from the beans, and add the rice and chopped black garlic.
- Check seasoning, adding salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 10 more minutes for the flavours to meld.
- Slice the roasted garlic into strips.
- Slice the mozzarella cheese into strips.
- Spread some black bean mix along the tortilla about 1/3 of the way up the circle.
- Lay some roasted red pepper on to the black bean mix.
- Lay some mozzarella on the peppers.
- Roll up the tortilla and put on a baking tray.
- Repeat for the other tortillas.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 180 degC.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Slice the ends off, then into 4 pieces.
- Serve with salad and delectabilia salad dressing. I added some smoked kelp to the salad dressing to add a seaside dimension.