Whether you like your scrambled eggs runny, firm, or somewhere in between, if you haven’t tried them infused with truffle yet then put that on your to-do list. Truffles and scrambled eggs are two ingredients that just seem made for each other.
I first had truffle infused scrambled eggs as an amuse bouche at one of my favourite French restaurants here in Saigon – Trois Gormands. Ingredients made for each other. I had long avoided making scrambled eggs myself though. Memories of rubbery scrambled eggs from my childhood were not motivating. Buying some shaved truffles preserved in oil at Queen Victoria Market in Melbourne gave me the motivation to learn to cook scrambled eggs deserving of truffles.
Scrambled eggs are really very simple – except the timing needs to be precise. There are only seconds between perfect scrambled eggs and the rubbery ones we see at hotel breakfast buffets. The best way to take control of this timing issue is to add crème fraîche just at the point your eggs reach your desired consistency. Removing the pan from the heat, and stirring in the cold crème fraîche stops the cooking, and adds a delightful creamy texture.
Speaking of classic ingredient pairings, asparagus and eggs rate high on that list as well.
Scrambled eggs with truffle on asparagusPrint
- 6 medium eggs or 4 large
- 20 g butter
- 2 Tbsp crème fraîche
- 5 slices truffle I used truffle slices preserved in oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- 12 asparagus spears
- Finely dice the truffle slices.
- Lightly whisk the eggs and stir in the truffle pieces. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Wash the asparagus and trim the woody ends off (approx. the lower third).
- Add water to your favourite vegetable steamer and bring to a boil.
- Bring a non-stick pan to a medium low heat and add the butter.
- Pour in the eggs and truffle pieces. Use a rubber spatula to stir the eggs as they start to set on the bottom.
- Add the asparagus to the steamer. Keep an eye on the while cooking the eggs to ensure they do not overcook.
- Add a pinch of salt.
When the eggs are almost at your preferred level of doneness, remove from the heat and stir in the crème fraîche. The crème fraîche will stop the eggs cooking any more.
- Remove the asparagus from the steamer if you have not already done so.
- Transfer the asparagus to a plate and spoon the scrambled eggs on top.